top of page

Frequently Asked Questions - How to apply Indian Tourist visa

Here are some FAQs that we normally receive about applying tourist visa. In case of any more details please feel free to contact us.

Who is eligible for Indian tourist visa?

An Indian tourist visa can only be eligible to a foreigner who does not have a residence or occupation in India and whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation, sightseeing, casual visit to meet friends and relatives, etc. No other activity is permissible on a tourist visa.

I am planning to volunteer in India , can I apply for a tourist visa?

No , to volunteer in India you must apply for employment visa , not a tourist visa. The employment visa must always be applied for from your home country.The position needs to be with an NGO or similar recognized as such by the Indian authoritities.Please make a note a tourist visa doesn't technically allow you anything but tourism, that's what it's there for, and as the name might suggest.

I have British nationality with Pakistani origin . How easily can I get an Indian tourist visa?

All applicants of Pakistani origin who hold dual British-Pakistan nationality must apply for an Indian visa on their Pakistan passport. Those who have either renounced Pakistani nationality or cancelled their Pakistani passport would need to submit documentary proof of this.

Processing time for visa applications received from persons of Pakistani origin will be 7-8 weeks or more. Processing time for applications from those holding dual British-Pakistan nationality will be substantially longer.

I am a person of Indian origin , how can I apply for Indian tourist visa?

A person of Indian origin is defined as a person , who has held indian nationality or is a child or grand child of person who has held Indian nationality. Persons of Indian Origin must apply for an Entry visa instead of tourist visa.

I am travelling to India after two months and confused whether I need to apply for tourist visa or entry visa. They both look similar. Please clarify which one is suitable.

As the name suggests a tourist visa doesn't technically allow you anything but tourism.

An entry visa is allowed for the following kinds of applicants:

Persons of Indian Origin

A spouse or child of a person of Indian origin.

A spouse or dependent family memeber of a forgein national coming to India on a long term visa as employement , research , student or business. In such cases expiry of the visa will be same as that of the principal holder

How long I can stay in India with tourist visa?

Maximum duration of stay shall be limited to 6 months (180 days) on each visit. Normally extension of stay is not granted with tourist visas and it can't be converted to any other visas.

I am planning to travel to Andaman Nicobar islands in India . Do I need to apply some permit?

Applicants wish to travel to Restricted/Protected Areas (Andaman-Nicobar/Sikkim) for tourism are required to obtain the Restricted Area Permit before their travel. They need to fill Additional Information Form for the restricted area permit.

Can you please list the places that need restricted area permit to travel?

The Foreigner (Protected Areas) Act requires foreigners to obtain a Protected Area Permit (PAP) to visit certain areas in India. This requirement is in addition to getting an Indian visa. In order to get this permit, you must meet certain requirements.

There is $30 fee for Protected/Restricted Area Permits for all nationalities.


Tourists must travel in groups of at least four people. However, in some places like Nagaland, this restriction does not apply to married couples. They must travel with a registered travel agent. Only certain entry/exit points are allowed in some areas. Non Indians are not allowed to enter certain areas at all

A PAP is normally issued for 10 days and has a option of a 7 day extension. The PAP is issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs. Also, different authorities of the concerned Indian states, FRROs, and Indian missions abroad can alsoissue such permit. Normally, your travel agent should be able to get the PAP for you.

Please note the exception: Citizens of Pakistan, Bangladesh, China and Myanmar can get the PAP only with the approval of the Ministry of Home Affairs

List of Places:

​The Restricted / Protected Area are as follows:

1. Parts of State of Manipur

2. Parts of State of Mizoram

3. Parts of State of Arunachal Pradesh

4. Whole of State of Nagaland

5. Whole of State of Sikkim

6. Parts of State of Uttaranchal.

7. Parts of State of Jammu and Kashmir .

8. Parts of State of Rajasthan.

9. Parts of State of Himachal Pradesh.

10. Parts of Lakshadeep.

11. Parts of Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

bottom of page